ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Admin obsessed with social media
View Single Post

NJ Teacher

Social media...
Old 10-20-2019, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I was so glad I retired, because the year after I did, teachers were required to have Twitter accounts. Posting on Class Dojo or your class website that you were required to have suddenly wasn't enough, although you could do Dojo in addition to Twitter. I never had a desire to be a publicist, and I know I would have resented this extra part of my job when I had barely enough time to do everything else they kept loading us up with. We also were supposed to upload classroom photos for an electronic frame outside the main office, but I rarely, if ever did that, once again due to lack of time. Once upon a time, the district actually hired a retired teacher and then a local photo journalist to come and take classroom photos, but that has come and gone. Then, we had a PTO parent who did it, but that is also gone. Now it is on us. One thing we don't have to worry about any more is that each class used to have to submit an article with photos once a year for a News and Views newsletter that the district put out to parents. Once we had a new superintendent, I think he thought those types of articles weren't especially relevant or higher level, so we didn't have to do them any more.

You are also right about the issue of constantly thinking and worrying about what you were going to post before actually teaching. I found it to be quite competitive. Education does not focus on the right priorities today. I went out for drinks with some working teachers in my district recently,, and I am so glad I am out of the rat race.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net