ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - A good read program
View Single Post

Haley23

Old 09-22-2018, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I tried LLI many years ago and didn't like it at all. IMO, it's nowhere near intensive enough for sped. We actually found it didn't really work for our tier 2 kids either and have scrapped it entirely at this point.

The ideas in Fountas and Pinnell are really not research based and teach kids to guess at words rather than giving them the phonics knowledge necessary to actually decode the words. Kids with reading disabilities typically need very intensive, explicit, and systematic direct phonics instruction.

I use SPIRE and 95% Group, but I'm only K-3. 95% Group moves faster while SPIRE is more intensive. Either program would be good for students who are struggling with learning to read or who have holes in phonics/decoding/fluency. If your older kids are just working on comprehension though, it wouldn't really work for them. Our intermediate sped teacher mostly just goes off what is being taught in the gen ed classroom and does a small amount of supplementary phonics instruction using 95% Group.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net