ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Short minilessons
View Single Post

minimandy4

Short minilessons
Old 07-12-2012, 07:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This may be a stupid question... but... how do you keep your reading and writing mini lessons short? I searched around PT for answers, but it seems like the most common solution was for teachers to use the book from their read aloud time for their mini lesson, so they spent time teaching and not reading. The problem for me is that I don't have a read aloud time! We are departmentalized (I teach 5th grade ELA/SS) so I have two 45 minute periods for all of ELA- reading, writing, word study, grammar, everything! (I'm also worried about cramming social studies into 3 45 minute periods a week, but that's a different question.) Since I have such a short amount of time it's really important that I keep my minilessons short so that students have plenty of time to read and write and so that I have time for groups and individual conferences. Last year my "minilessons" took on average 20 minutes. If there was an activity I wanted them to do with something the lesson would take the whole time! I guess I should move away from the activities.
Sorry for the confusion, but I think my thoughts are confused. Basically, I am trying to wrap my head around doing a (modified) Daily 5 structure in my class with a really short amount of time. To do this, I need to shorten my minilessons and relinquish the control I had by making them do specific activities (I guess I could take back some of this "control" by small groups and individual goals?) I would love any thoughts and suggestions you guys have!

P.S.- I am following the upper elementary Daily 5/Cafe book club, but while they have great information, no one has really answered these questions, even though several people have asked...

minimandy4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net