ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Substitutes have to hand in their car KEYS
View Single Post

broomrider

I stopped this district wide
Old 10-19-2019, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

I went to a board meeting and explained that I'd asked my insurance agent about this. He said that the employee was accepting liability for my car and its contents on behalf of the district by requiring I turn over my car key. Magic word: Liability. Policy changed immediately.

My alternative suggestion if the key policy did not change was to offer to inventory the contents of my car with the employee and note the mileage, have both of us sign off in the morning and re-inventory and check mileage in the afternoon when I was ready to leave. They don't trust me, I don't trust them. Well, er, how about trust, but verify. I'm only doing this in order to cover the secretary's liability. That ought to make 'em think twice about such a policy. So disrespectful.

I attended a secretaries' meeting as a substitute's representative when the new policy was explained. Some of the secretaries were upset. The administrator present told them they(the secretaries) would be liable if someone claimed a computer or other expensive equipment was missing from the sub's car when they had custody of the key. I also told them about the times I'd had to toss the classroom keys across the office to land on a secretary's desk because no one at all was present in any part of the office when I left. There was was thoughtful silence after that.

It also needs to be noted that the highest number of students killed at Newtown were in an unlocked classroom with a substitute teacher who died shielding them.
broomrider is online now   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net