ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Advice Needed: Student Teaching Experience Not Going Well
View Single Post

Singfree

Old 10-07-2016, 09:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with Munchkins that by seeing her mistakes, it's also helped you learn and think about how things could run more efficiently. I do understand how you're disappointed and frustrated though. I commend you on wanting to be placed with someone you can learn so much more from and seeking ways to remedy the situation.

I'm still in a college elementary teacher education program and have had numerous field experiences. I also have a bachelor's degree in another field and substitute taught for years before going back to college. I've learned a lot from subbing. While field experiences allow me to ask teacher's more questions about the job and has me focusing and practicing on one or two particular aspects of teaching at a time, subbing has allowed me to see many different classroom environments and teaching styles. If you have a gap after graduating from college and finding a teaching job, I would recommend subbing. The schools I've subbed at have various co-teaching rooms and special education support within general education rooms, so I've gotten to see many different teachers in action over the years. I just wish I would have taken more notes while subbing to help me remember lessons or behavioral systems that were particularly effective with the children.

For me, field experiences have varied. I've been in rooms where the climate is negative and is counter to what I'm being taught in college. I always worry when I call the schools to ask for placement, because it's a toss up where I'll end up. So unfortunately, the possibility of being matched with someone who impedes student teachers in some way is a roll of the dice and frightening (I've read some horror stories from student teachers about their experiences of being harshly treated or judged by their CT). Have you spoken with your supervising professor about the situation? Maybe he or she would be okay with you visiting other rooms the last couple weeks if there isn't much left to do in your placement classroom. Or, maybe you could check around with local schools to see if they have any volunteer opportunities you could do after you're finished with student teaching. Volunteering and/or subbing are good ways to network and continue learning.

Singfree is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net