ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - from graphic organizers to great story
View Single Post

busybee4

Model, Model and model again
Old 10-23-2011, 08:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I model using a GO and then writing out a story. I laminated a huge bun for beginning(top of bun) and wrap (bottom of the bun) up and 3 sandwich fillers for 3 (green/ lettuc 1st event, yellow/cheese 2nd story event and red/meat for 3rd story event to aid sequential events. They help me gererate a story map and then we write a story right onto the hamburger laminated pieces. Then we revisit the hamburger to work on word choices, additional information and editing issues. I also provide time to orally stretch out the stories using the GO before starting to write the story. I also will copy a problem story onto the hanburger and we fix the errors together. I do this in large group, small group and 1-1 with children who struggle. This hands on approach is super helpful!

It needs to be modeled over and over and then yet again. Call up a small group to do it with them from beginning to end...over and over again. Good luck.

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net