ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - 6 Traits for 1st Grade
View Single Post

lovemyjob1

Hi
Old 01-28-2012, 11:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach first grade and have been using the six traits. So far so good. I use a combo of Lucy Calkins and No More I'm Done. No More I'm done has books listed to go with the traits. I have each of the traits listed and I have made some posters to go along with the traits. During Writing conferences I focus on one skill to improve and use trait colored pencils to dot the lines that need fixing. For example, if we discussed starting with a capital, I would grab a conventions colored pencil and dot the lines of sentences where that child forgot to start with a capital. I would then make that a goal for them. This means that before they can sign up for conferences again, they need to make sure they have checked for that particular item. They walk away with the gaol sheet on one side and the writing menu on the other. Then I send them off to fix it with the colored pencil. I am new to this site and am not sure how to attach documents, but if you are interested I can attach the writing menu that I am currently using. I have also made trait labels to put on the kids papers that will be going home so they know what they used well and what they still need to work out. I figured it is more beneficial to focus on one thing rather than to mark up the entire page.

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net