ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - How should a new teacher with Tourette Syndrome break the ice
View Single Post

kahluablast

Old 07-24-2017, 08:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think it would be best if you are open and honest with coworkers, staff, students, and parents. I think that is the best way to protect yourself against people who are ignorant and tend to make fun of things rather than understand them. Hopefully you can also have a sense of humor about it because I can see that going a long way to counteract any bad reactions to your tics.

My dd isn't diagnosed (and I am not saying she has Tourettes) and has weird tics. They don't effect who she is or the work that she can do but I can imagine people making fun of them. I think just being open is the best way to deal with it.

Congrats with your new job. I think 2nd graders are so much more accepting that adults. Honest conversation will go a long way with them. I am not sure about middle schoolers, but I think they are much more apt to react to the unknown and uncertain than the truth. Some of them of course are going to find fodder with your condition, but many are going to appreciate your willingness to be open with your differences.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net