ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - How should a new teacher with Tourette Syndrome break the ice
View Single Post

dee

Honesty
Old 07-25-2017, 01:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I work with middle schoolers. They are all trying to find their identities, and a willingness to share will gain you respect.

You already know suppression won't work, so I say be out there with it. First day introductions after a bit, perhaps say "you may notice that at times...."

Cultivate an atmosphere of acceptance and respect. Kids may say something, and there's always that ONE kid; however, it will be important how you respond. I had skin cancer removed on my forehead with a large bandage. One kid said something. Half the class was mortified, the other half was waiting to see my reaction. I stared him down for a moment, and said "I know you don't realize how mean that was because you are not a mean kid. I also know you might have questions about what's going on." I opened the class up for questions and I was as candid as I could be. I allowed the kid to save face while showing how I was not going to allow a student to rattle me.

I do suggest speaking with your principal and AP so they are aware of your medical condition. I am sure they'll be supportive.

Last edited by dee; 07-25-2017 at 03:22 AM..
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net