ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Hired two days before school starts
View Single Post

Munchkins

Plain white is fine!
Old 08-10-2017, 12:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The perfect way to start is to get them to help you decorated the room with meaningful work. Have them make "All About Me" pictures. They can draw themselves with things they want to share with the class- pets, hobbies, etc. Have them include their families and homes.

For a writing activity they can write, "This year I want to learn...." And illustrate it.

As long as they have a place to sit and put their belongings, you're good. There may be plenty of writing supplies already, so I wouldn't spend too much.

Think about your opening routines and how you want your days to go. Borrow lots of read alouds from the library- 1st graders love to be read to!

Allow time to take them for a couple of tours of the building. They will need to learn how to get to the office if you have to send them for anything (we have to send a lunch envelope.)

Congratulations, and good luck! You don't need to label everything right away, just where they put their belongings. I might not label desks for the first day or two- I want to see their personalities a bit first. One day at a time! We're here for you!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net