ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - New Teacher Advice
View Single Post

Mikhail

classroom materials
Old 09-12-2017, 11:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The suggestions I give you depend on your style and organization so you know yourself and your class better. If you're the hands-on type, it would probably be wise to store your manipulatives in zip-lock bags for individual use. And store these by units in a closet. But if you're storing those compasses, it can be a little tricky. Remember, it's about safety. In general think of how a chem teacher might store materials and equipment so safety is paramount. And if you have them work in teams, they can share each other's pieces and equipment.

For calculators like graphing calculators, make sure that you number each device and assign each kid their own graphing or regular calculator based on the number.

Since you're teaching geometry, I would advise purchasing a license to Geometer's sketchpad. Some of these students cannot draw a straight line even if there's a straightedge! Don't assume that they know how to use a micrometer or a ruler for that matter.

About practicality, I don't know how you intend to record grades but might I suggest that you record their grades on an actual gradesheet or gradebook and then enter these in a grading software or on good old spreadsheet. The only reason why I would record their grade on a gradesheet or gradebook 1st is because I'm not always by a computer when I finish grading a stack of papers but I do have my roll/plan/grade book handy. With a computer, I enter columns of grades at the end of every week to update for each class. I should've started by saying not to let a stack of papers pile up or you would be so behind in grading papers! It was a source of anxiety for me knowing in the back of my mind that I got stack of papers to look through even though I didn't have to grade them all.

I don't know how often you plan on assessing your students but whenever I assess, I would naturally update each student's grade (non-official) on a regular basis, weekly when I got my groove on. This way, it does not surprise them one bit as to how they earned or are earning their cumulative grades. I let them know their unofficial grade by writing their own percentage scores on their last assessment or on some sticky note. Consider privacy when you're updating their grades.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net