ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - New teacher advice from old teacher
View Single Post

Mshope

Office Paperwork! Best Advice.
Old 06-24-2020, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is the best advice ever. I always had a clipboard that I put all the office crap on. As soon as I could I filled and returned forms BEFORE I lost them. The amount of paperwork can be overwhelming, but just get it out of the way. I will add this: photocopy important form and retain the copy in case someone loses them. (This is especially important with field trips.)

I have to disagree about the bag thing. For 15 years I drag things in and out of the school. I ALSO carry a backpack in addition to my other bags/cart. Yes, I'm sure I look like a pack horse, but it would be impossible for me to do all at school.

My top advice would be come early, leave on time. I quit staying after school due to random people stopping in and chatting with me.

I would add to form good relationships with students, but don't be their friends. In this day and age, I also think you need to be interesting and dynamic to get and hold students' very short attention spans. Incorporate your interests and preferences and it will translate to the students. For example, i find something in each lesson to make it more interesting. It doesn't always work, but sometimes it does.

Other advice: keep your mouth shut. Don't say or do anything with students that you wouldn't do in front of parents and admin.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net