ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Title I Question
View Single Post

MrsM

literacy coaches
Old 03-25-2007, 05:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes, it is allowed under Title I guidelines to have literacy coaches, but someone not having reading certification who is doing this job is not allowed. The two Title I reading teachers could simply change the way they deliver services by becoming literacy coaches. The concept is that all children will receive high quality reading services through the classroom teacher, with coaching as needed in the weaker areas for the teacher. This takes someone very knowledgeable in reading, of course. This position can also include some small literacy groups by the teachers.

As per your Mass. DOE Title I guidelines, the teachers must be highly qualified. They cannot be highly qualified without at least reading certification, and a master’s in reading would be better. The link to the Title I info for your state is: http://www.doe.mass.edu/titlei/nclb/....asp?section=3 I clicked on “Requirements for Implementing a Schoolwide Program”.

Whatever happens for next year, remember that these students need the smallest instructional group possible in order to learn well, and many exposures and repetitions. I know you have limits of what you can actually do about that, but the more you can do in smaller groups, the better for your students. Good luck!
MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net