ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - New to Title I..help!
View Single Post

readerabbit

some ideas
Old 08-31-2007, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

With it being your first year and everything tossed at you don't be too hard on your self. I service first grade and if needed other grades. But with first grade see if you school did Dibels for kindergarten. ( not my favorite tool) then do a letter sound inventory check: I 'm thinking there has to be a group of readiness words the students were required to learn check those. Ask how and why these students were selected.
Don't accept the answer oh they were at risk. How, who, what, when, where? Dolch lists are great for all grade levels for individual folders and progress. Think file folder activities. These can be used when you are working individually with other student or even used as an assessment instead of pen and paper. Don't be afraid to ask to borrow something you see in the classroom. If you have to be "push in" the teacher needs to supply you with some type of plan if nothing else what the objectives are going to be. I would check to see what the grade level objectives for all levels and make a binder of such.
Make a folder on each student have a running documentation when you saw that student. Sorry if I started going overboard. Let us know if we can be of help. Title is great but is a different ball game.
1 can be the lonely number but at the same time you are an unique educator with a different set of objectives. Piece of advice be ware when you hear "Oh you have it easy you don't have to deal with a classroom full of kids etc." I don't know how many times I have heard that line.
readerabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net