ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - New to Title I..help!
View Single Post

readerabbit

Dolch
Old 09-03-2007, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We use the Slossom SORT to use as progressive assessment however that test is pricey. If would suggest using the simple Dolch list. There are other high frequecy Fry etc. I would look at their daily high frequency to see how well it matched. This is just a share suggestion. If start on one list ( make a mini folder for the students to take home to study. When each person completes that list ( I usually cut the list in half 10 words at a time and highlight words needed for study) then they receive a sticker on a special name card (I always let the kids write their own names so they feel it is theirs plus you can tell alot from handwriting). That way when I get questioned about a student I can look up at the name plate and it gives me a reminder where that student is at. I have some kids that zoom through and others that struggle but this gives each child ownership in their learning and it is a good assessment tool is how they learn the words. "Do they still know the word that they called out on the list in context?" Hope this helps
readerabbit is online now   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net