ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - 4th Grade CAFE/DAILY 5
View Single Post

dianemcq

4th Grade D5
Old 06-14-2015, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Focus mainly on the Comprehension skills, followed by Expanding Vocabulary with a smattering of Accuracy (chunk letters) and Fluency (reread text) being the main ones. Finding words with Greek and Latin word roots and developing word meanings from them is an excellent skill for your highest level readers.

My students have loved whole class theme journals...I have about 12 with all different themes such as Pets, Band-Aids & Boo-Boos, and Notes to a Friend (students write back and forth to each other) and they are a big hit...and carry over from year to year so students can read entries from prior students. They're great to use at the beginning of the year when you are building writing stamina.

Choose a few authors whose titles you promote in class, then read a few of those titles yourself. My fourthies love Kate DiCamillo, Lauren Tarshan (not sure of the spelling...writes the I Survived series), Gary Paulsen, Dan Gutman, Beverly Cleary, etc.

When conferencing, make sure you jot down the page number the student is currently on. It helps you know if they're making progress the next time you meet with them.

Bananagrams is by far my students' favorite word work activity. They are allowed to play no more than once a week but it's a great game for building vocabulary. I limit it to three students at a time. Because our spelling word lists are usually very easy (we have a basal program), I ask students to also use their science, math, or social studies vocabulary words for word work.
dianemcq is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net