ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Stocking book boxes--lots of questions
View Single Post

globalgirl

Let the kids do the stocking!
Old 11-01-2015, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I teach kinder, but even with my kiddos they stock their own boxes.

Since most of my littles can't read at all yet, they are stocking with picture books. I limit them to ten books because 1. That's what fits in their boxes, and 2. That's a good number to count to.

I also have my kids keep a little bag in their book boxes that contains their guided reading books from the last two weeks (we use a-z, so they are printed copies). They take them home for a weekend, then bring them back and use them at school for fluency practice.

For older kids, I might have them keep five books in their book boxes, since they would be longer, or one novel and three shorter books.

I do book shopping once a week, either on Friday or Monday, depending on when they have time. If my kids were more independent, I would probably let them go twice a week. You could also make this something they can do if they finish an activity early, or while waiting for their bus, or in the morning. That way they can change books as they are ready.

I don't have a huge class library, but the kids don't mind reading books multiple times. In the grades above mine, the teachers also have the kids put their books from the school library in their book boxes.

The Daily 5 has a lesson on "good fit" books that you might want to check out. This teaches kids to find books that are reading level appropriate, as well as interesting too them.
If you only let them read books on their lexile level, what if they really want to read about a non-fiction topic, but the only book is below their level?
You might instead have a rule where they have to choose two or three books on their lexile level and then can choose two based on interest.
globalgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net