ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - help to increase decoding/fluency
View Single Post

Lillybabe

Old 01-04-2020, 08:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Do the third graders have the skills that come before the pattern you're teaching? Most of my students are third graders this year. Only one of them is ready to start learning vowel teams. Most of them are still working on short vowels and consonants. They are getting fluent with cvc words but as soon as I pull in a second consonant many of them flounder which typically means they aren't solid in their sounds or their ability to sound it out. I've been doing an after school program with kids outside of special education who struggle to read. Most of the third graders there are still struggling with similar things.

As far as tracking their growth and helping them become readers... can you get a growth measure that is decodable? Also, don't beat yourself up or over stress on them making a specific amount of growth. The truth of most learning is that it takes a significant amount of time. Most students working at a 1st grade level in 3rd grade aren't going to make more than a year worth of growth in an academic year. I struggle with this too, but they have their whole life to become readers. Eventually things will click, they will have enough of the patterns, and they will start making more rapid growth. What happens too often is people try to move faster and create more problems then they solve. Many of my kids it is obvious that they were pushed along before mastering prerequisite skills and they now have a lot of bad habits and holes in what they know. I think it's much harder to plug all the holes then it is to cover everything from the start.
Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net