ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Disrespectful to a tee.
View Single Post

Lakeside

Old 05-06-2017, 02:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If this was one of those teacher hero movies, the conclusion would be that he's reacting to the fact that you're the only teacher who hasn't given up on him (by ignoring his wish for you to "just chill and be cool" and let them "do what we wanna" and actually expecting something from him) and he really wants to trust you, but his previous experience with adults makes him afraid to do that...

And that may be true (or he may just be a jerk) - you've just got to go with your gut on this one:

If you do think you're close to reaching him, concentrate on building an appropriate relationship through showing an interest in his reality. (Teens often don't believe we understand their lives...and sometimes they're right, especially in cases of vastly different economic levels.) You said he's on a team, so I guess I'd start with showing an interest in that. - Take all of this with a grain of salt, though, as it's so much easier for me with little kids, and I imagine things can be easily misinterpreted in high school!

If you don't feel like this is a case of "kids won't care until they're sure you do" (and it isn't always!) just concentrate on not letting him take too much away from the more motivated students in the class. It's almost the end of the year!
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net