ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Google Classroom
View Single Post

iteachk2010

Old 08-04-2016, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Kahluablast has a great idea of having the principal set up a Google Classroom to use with the staff. That is one of the things we are doing this year.

My school district is going all Google this year. Our high school and middle school used some of the Google Apps, but at the elementary level, we haven't. The process started in the spring when we switched over to Gmail and Google Calendar. Originally the switchover wasn't going to happen until September, but they decided to do the merge over to Google on Memorial Day Weekend so teachers would have a chance to get comfortable with using it before the start of a new year. That would also give the tech support time to work out any glitches over the summer.

Next, Tech Mentors from each school started the online self-paced Google training to get certified. The district created 5 positions for Google Gurus for the upcoming school year. Those five teachers will get paid extra to pilot Google Classroom this year. They have meetings scheduled throughout the year so they can relate how things are going, address concerns, share ideas... This summer the tech mentors were also invited to attend the Google Classroom training with the Google Gurus and administrators so we are available to help. (We can use Google Classroom-just won't get paid.)

I think it was back in May when our superintendent required all the administrators-principals, asst principals and supervisors to only use Google Apps. He started them out by having them collaborate using Google Docs during their "cabinet" meetings.

That is one key to the process. If you want to get your teachers on board, then your school leaders need to use it, too. Just like Kahluablast's suggestion-Our principal set up a Google Classroom for our school to use this year. I am a "student" in the class from the summer training. I can see that she already has announcements, several assignments on there ready for the first week of school.

I have a vague idea in my mind of doing an activity like Breakout Edu to get the other teachers excited about Google Classroom. I'm not sure how it would work. i.e. Give them some type of problem where they need to do a survey. Have them create a google form. Send it to three teachers. Bring the spreadsheet of responses to verify and then they are given the next clue. You might do some type of activity where teachers earn badges as they do different things with the Google Classroom.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net