ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Questions (So confused, please help)
View Single Post

Singfree

Old 03-10-2019, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't expect her to hand me what to do, but I do need to know what to teach since I don't know what she's covered so far. New teachers have access to a lot more information than I have, most likely other grade-level teachers, and can start at square one with teaching the State Standards. I'm walking in mid-year in a different role than a teacher has.

I'm not looking for a scripted program. But, it's difficult for me to plan when I'm told things last minute. I had planned and wrote lesson plans (22 pages worth) for the next story in the reading text, but then, last minute, my CT decided to skip that story even though it's on the pacing guide, and she previously spoke to me about doing it. The pacing guide is useless. The skills she's teaching or not teaching don't match.

I've asked her about skills, but she doesn't have any answers about which ones I should focus on teaching. I thought she'd say something like, we've covered Summarizing extensively and need to work on X, Y, and Z or something. But no.

Often, she doesn't know what she wants to do the day before, so in the mornings, she's running around putting things together. She told me she's behind in teaching two subjects. She hasn't taught one subject she was supposed to be working on all year. This came up after I had planned to implement a certain teaching model for that subject, and had ordered books and materials for it. Now, I'm just being told about the program that the school actually uses for that subject. I also had to order the reading curriculum materials, because she didn't offer to give me a copy to use. I didn't even know she had them until after I ordered the materials, even though I told her it'd be helpful if I had a book and could read the weekly story before the week started. She'd get a reading book out of a student's desk and quickly flip through to show me the story, but never offered to lend me a book.

She gets frustrated when I ask for things sometimes. And, when I bring up ideas, she often dismisses them and wants to do things her way anyway.
Singfree is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net