ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Partner Work
Thread: Partner Work
View Single Post

Lakeside

Partners
Old 07-11-2019, 08:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I do like "pulling sticks" because it gives me veto power over bad combinations (or the opportunity to set a pair up for a particular reason.)

I sometimes incorporate a little hidden math practice - have them draw numbers and then find a partner who "makes 10" (so if you're a 3, you have to find a 7, etc.)

Some teachers I know do "clock buddies" so the kids have 12 different partners for the year, and you just call out which number you want them to work with that day.

Slightly more complicated is to assign each kid (at the beginning of the year) a letter/number/shape code where each piece is secretly based on reading level, math level, gender, learning style...whatever. Then you you can have them choose someone with the same ____ or different ____ depending on your goals for the activity.

On the occasions I let them choose completely freely, I set up a "surprise me circle" where those who "feel like taking a chance on someone new today" can stand and be randomly assigned. - It saves face for the kids who don't have a best friend or feel uncomfortable not being chosen right away.

Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net