ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - student behavior help (long, sorry)
View Single Post

Lakeside

Old 04-13-2013, 01:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
half way through the year, and had some social issues. (Did not make friends, sad all the time) This year started off ok, but the behavior seems to be deteriorating....
Quote:
... He seems miserable the majority of the time and seems to want positive adult attention (parents always seem involved and helpful)...
The sad and miserable halfway through the year, and starting off OK then falling into the same pattern, made me wonder about seasonal affective disorder (called SAD - basically, getting depressed during the part of the year without enough sunlight).

I have no idea how you would find out for sure, as you don't want to overstep with parents. But read about it if you get a chance, or talk to the school counselor if you have one. See whether he seems to have a slightly better day if you put his seat next to a sunny window. (If anyone reading has a very bad case of this yourself, I'm not suggesting it's nothing and can be fixed this easily! But if it's mild, she may notice a little difference.) Talk his teacher from last year, and see if it was worse when he first got here, but not as bad toward the end of the school year.

Quote:
...drawing on his white board when he should be listening to directions....
Not following direct unions is a separate issue, though, and I would stay on him about it. No charts, based on what you said before, but remove the temptation (in this case, no white board until after directions are given).
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net