ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - new to teaching states and capitals
View Single Post

Lakeside

Old 01-23-2013, 03:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

For the kick-off, I would start off with a big blank map, and call up the kids to help you fill in what they already know. (Allow a good chunk of time, as they will want to tell you how they know - "My grandmother lives In Ohio", I went to Disney World in Florida", etc. - It's OK, the personal connections make it stick.)

Then I would say we're going to fill the rest in during our next unit in Social Studies. Most teachers I know do divide it by region, and I think the chunks are less intimidating. Have a quiz each week where they have to label that region's states and match the capitals. (Depending on the age/level of the kids, you can have the states as a word bank, or have them use the abbreviations to label a blank map, or require spelling.)

For practicing at home, I remember finding a website when my son was doing them that would quiz the kids, and I also made sleeves by taping two blank transparencies together on two adjacent sides, and slipping the maps in for him to practice.

For connections to other subjects, you could mention time zones for math, or climate for science.

Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net