ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - More questions from a new sub
View Single Post

mrsd5

Retired teacher and sub here
Old 11-10-2018, 07:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When do you have time to leave the teacher notes about your day? Do you stay after the bell rings to write your notes?

I write quick notes on the lesson plan if necessary with absences. During breaks, I add more on a separate sheet. Usually it's just the absences and a quick note of how class went. I don't write a book.

Also, if a lesson plan asks you to seat kids in alphabetical order, do you tell everyone to stand up until you call their name to sit?

I've never had that happen, but I'd probably have them stand along a wall and then walk around to each desk to call names. That's how I did it when I taught full time. They'd go to their desks row by row to cut down on the chaos.

If a student gives you trouble more than one or two times, do you tell the student to go to the principal's office or do you call first someone in the office for help?

I've always written a pass AND called the office before the student leaves the room. Cuts down on hiding in the bathrooms.

Secondly, lesson plans make me nervous. How do you have time to read through everything when you come in 30 minutes before school starts. Do you read only some parts and refer back to it as the class goes on?
With technology, I am surprised lesson plans are not expected to be emailed or posted online so you have the day before to look at it over to ensure lessons are finished.

What others have said. Look over all plans briefly, then concentrate on the ones before your first break. If time, I write the "Plan of Action" on the board so there is no confusion.

Also, if you are expected to teach and you have no knowledge on that subject, what do you do in that situation?

I do that all the time now that I sub high school. I'm a middle school person. Usually the teachers leave work that students already are familiar with. If not, I "fake it until I make it." Or ask a student who knows what is going on to help teach it. High school students are pretty good about that, especially in honors or AP classes.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net