ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - That ONE kid!
Thread: That ONE kid!
View Single Post

dietcoke99

"study" hall
Old 11-12-2018, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

All I can offer is empathy because I dread "study hall" classes. The students, in my experience, are almost always worse in these classes, and I believe it is because they have too little to do, certainly nothing structured to do, if anything at all. I have my opinions about study hall, but I won't state them here because I don't want a battle, but I feel your pain.

Would the office have not been supportive if you would have sent him there? (sent him back to you with McDonald's, for example, if you read that fiasco).

One time I did tell a study hall class, and I think I got the idea from here, that unless they had a 4.0 GPA, they had something they could work on - and even if they do have a 4.0 GPA, there are a variety of books along the back wall that they can take and read during the class. It may have helped a little.

I know I am in the minority here, but I would have (in the past) described it in the note, including why I didn't send him to the office.

I think that feedback to the teacher (and anybody) is a good thing, especially since it gives the teacher a way to do something about it. How can you help a situation that you know nothing about?

After learning that teachers (or the vast majority of them) don't read (or want) descriptive notes, anyway, I won't do that again - I'll just write that teacher off and not sub for them again, at this point.
dietcoke99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net