ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Sick of being called n word by students
View Single Post

Fractured

Old 11-28-2018, 01:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Airstation- I know you are offering advice,but I don't like that you said I'm not holding it down. I am holding it down in tough schools with little to no support from admin or security or even fellow teachers. If I have a room full of 30 Hs students and if I stop and do this productive member of society routine I would be doing it all day. You do that even for swearing? I hear sixth graders swear now. I can't even tell you how much it happens in high school. If they say it to me it's addressed, but I don't care if they are having a group discussion or something. I hear nigga in the hallway and all over the place. I guarantee if I did what you advised they would not get it and definitely think of it was a put down, because it pretty much is. These kids say sorry for using the word and then use it in the sentence where they are apologizing. They just say it without thinking about it. It's not the hill I really want to die on. You can check out the news for the teachers who have really dug in and gotten into shouting matches and got suspended.

I was looking for a quick way to cut the situation off. They usually stop using the word, and that's good enough for me. I am dealing with students with IEPS and 504s, but I am not usually given that info and have to guess what kind of student and problems I am dealing with just by talking to them for one class period. I hold it down because I don't crap from the kids, but I really don't want to be the 100th person telling them they are not on their way to becoming a good citizen. I'm sure these kids get sh*t on enough at home and in everyday life.
Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net