ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Iím a new sub and these classes are breaking me down. Any advice would be great
View Single Post

OneGreatSub

At the risk of sounding hopelessly
Old 12-01-2018, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

old and out of it, I'd say that too many kids today are a different breed than those I grew up with because no one disciplines them -- not parents, not teachers, not anyone. We had some respect for authority and would never have treated an adult, any adult, in the way you described because our behinds would have been red as a result. I've served as an aide in too many classrooms where the teacher politely addressed the students as "friends" while they ran around completely ignoring her. While I would never condone physically harming a student, I do believe lack of consequences for just about any poor behavior has led to a situation where classroom decorum and learning are the last thing on students' minds and just keeping some semblance of order is a big challenge for the teacher. The district where I sub compounds the problem in the elementary grades by setting up freeform classrooms where kids can sit on bouncy balls if they want to. The pendulum has swung so far in the direction of "anything goes" that it's almost impossible to get schools back on track toward fulfilling their educational mission. Sorry your experience has been so negative, but it's simply the way of the world these days. Subbing is increasingly not for the feint of heart. That's for sure. My one suggestion would be to try accepting some middle school assignments. The bell schedule means different classes throughout the day and more variety. I find elementary too exhausting and high school too much like babysitting. You never get to actually teach anything and teenagers can be incredibly rude. Just my opinion.

Last edited by OneGreatSub; 12-01-2018 at 02:43 PM..
OneGreatSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net