ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - I am fed up, hear me ROAR
View Single Post

mrsd5

I am fed up, hear me ROAR
Old 12-04-2018, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This problem has gotten worse each year. So today, I thought I had it solved. Eighth grade students watched CNN 10 and then filled out their CNN sheets. After that, I told them to look at me and listen carefully for directions. They are beginning Civil War studies, and each has created a civil war solder persona who writes letters home. Today they were to take a sheet they'd already filled out where they analyzed a Civil War picture. They were to write home and tell about their experiences based on the picture. They HAD a filled out graphic organizer and their first letters. Easy and creative, right? I gave them the directions very clearly. They appeared to be listening. Desks are arranged in table groups, so after I gave directions, I stopped at each table to make sure they were on task. After two tables, I went back to the front and ROARED at them to stop what they were doing. I let them know in NO way were most of them doing what I had directed. They were just making up stuff to put in the letters and not referring to the organizer. I told them that I would NOT repeat the directions, nor would I give them any help. I gave the tables ONE minute to talk it out and clarify what they were to be doing. Then I sat down for 10 minutes before I got up to roam the room again. God help them in half a year when they are in high school! Both the teacher next door AND the custodian were laughing when they saw me. The custodian said it had been nearly 4 years, and he KNEW it must be me subbing. Sigh....

mrsd5 is online now   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net