ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Had a talk with an administrator today.....
View Single Post

OneGreatSub

I lost out on 3 days of sick pay
Old 12-09-2018, 09:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

last year when I was forced to cancel a 3 day job due to my mother's hospitalization. The illness of a family member for whom you provide care is covered under the law as well. When I called the sub coordinator to tell her why I was cancelling the job, she never mentioned that I should request sick pay. I just assumed I was out the money. I didn't find out about the law until I saw it mentioned on this board months later. There are no posters in any of the district's schools advising of the law, and subs were absolutely never notified. To date they still haven't been notified, and every district sub I've mentioned this to has no clue such a benefit exists. It infuriates me that some school districts (I know mine isn't the only one) treat subs with such disdain, like a necessary evil. They entrust us with the lives and well being of students but don't think enough of us to advise us of a state law that provides one small benefit they'd never in a million years provide us on their own. I'm nearing retirement and will hang it up soon, but before I do I want to see every district sub receive both notification of the sick pay benefit and a check for the mandatory training. My hard working underpaid fellow subs and I deserve no less.
OneGreatSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net