ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - In need of some advice...
View Single Post

kahluablast

Old 01-12-2019, 06:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
the teacher came back for the second half of the day and promptly threw it away, saying it was busy work
. Personally, even if that was the way she felt about it, I would have waited to throw it away. That seems very rude.

Busy work could also be equivalent to practice work. We don't always grade everything. If you did it with the class, I wouldn't grade it because I would consider it practice. I often leave practice work for subs, or review work. Things I don't want to grade... Sometimes I leave tests with specific guidance for expectations because I know that is a fairly easy thing to administer and often easier than leaving a skill to practice, not knowing the ability of the sub. I don't need detailed notes from the sub. Notes in the margins of the plans work well - ie. finished this, got to page 2, Student left early - that kind of thing. I usually don't have time to figure out the piles of work left AND read 3 pages of notes from the sub, and get ready for a new day.

Middle school. I do think that the goal in most MS classrooms with a sub is to make it through the day. I have heard that often teachers leave study guides, or independent reading and worksheet, or even movies often. The age level is full of disrespect and rudeness on a daily basis. I was shocked by attitudes when my kids were in middle school. I barely liked them! I have the highest respect for MS teachers, and people who agree to sub there? Why, I think they might just be insane! Maybe some of our ms teachers and subs will chime in on how to deal with them.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net