ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Teaching Children to Care, Chap 1 and 2
View Single Post

Adaya

Georgiateach
Old 07-06-2009, 09:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
I am curious about the morning meeting. There never seems to be enough time for this. I am wondering if this is only used in the beginning of the year or if it is a daily routine.
I do Morning Meeting daily, all year long. Morning Meeting time precious and sacred to me so I don't let anything take it over because I find that the Morning Meeting starts our day right, focused, energized and ready to learn. Our day runs much more smoothly (less conflicts, interruptions, etc) when we start our day together as a team. It's a good way to really get to know your students - their likes/dislikes, activities, and home life.

At first I wasn't sure I could give up "instructional time" to do morning meeting everyday. But once I started I realized that I am using this instructional time the best way possible - teaching them how to work together, respectfully (which is not only a classroom skill, but a life skill).

If you are interested in learning more about the Morning Meeting portion of Responsive Classroom a good resource would be The Morning Meeting Book by Roxann Kriete.

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net