ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Too much talking!
View Single Post

Mrs. R :)

Old 09-18-2010, 05:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Okay... I see you have been inschool for a week. I am HOPING you are really using a TON of Interactive Modeling. Please go back and review the steps for that. Remember that in IM, the big difference is the children do the majority of the modeling, not you. It is a shift in focus from traditional modeling...also you should be using LOTS of reinforcing language throughout the day "I see how... I notice children.." and definately reminding language "How should you... Show me what it looks like to..." Until you develop your rules with your children, the IM serves as your backbone for expectations. It is not chaos...there are ways to behave and here they are.

You set the tone in your classroom. "In this class when we have something to say, we raise our hand. Watch as I show you what that looks like. What did you notice. Who can show mw what that looks like? What did you notice? How about when 2 people have something to say, what should we do then? What did you notice? How about 5 people? Who can show me what that looks like? What did you notice? Now, everytime you have something to say, you will raise your hand just the way we decided to. I'll be looking for that during Morning Meeting."

I set up my rules in the third week (b/c we had so many days off...Jewish Holidays, Labor Day, PD Days...this week will be our first FULL week, and we started Aug 30th!)

So, we just posted them yesterday. Now, I will develop Logical Consequences. But I have started to practice them already. When someone stepped on a book, and tore it, he had to stay in from recess for the time it took for him to help me fix it with packing tape. When another chatter wasn't following our MM rules and IM for raising his hand, he lost the privilege of sitting on the carpet and sat at a nearby table. He still participated in MM, but he wasn't able to sit with the class on the rug. He came back when we transitioned to Reading on the rug. These are 2 examples, but LC have been happening and I have been using the language of LC. You have lost this privilege because you are ... I just haven't introed them formally. Now when I do, we will have some examples to cull from that are real and fresh.

I think AoA goes hand in hand with LC, but I might wait until a few days later. I wouldn't put them together (too long of a lesson for firsts who developmentally can only absorb a mini-lesson for 7 minutes and then you've lost 'em!)

I hope this helps... START SLOW TO FINISH FAST!

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net