ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - time out
Thread: time out
View Single Post

AddieJ

time out
Old 09-30-2010, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My kids don't like time out. We discuss how sad it is to miss out on what the rest of the class is doing. They all want to be included and "time out" is when they're not so no one wants to go there. It really depends on the age of the kids though; mine are kindergarteners and, for the most part, are in the development stage where they like to follow the rules (does NOT mean that everyone does however ) time outs are a frequent thing in kdg too.

About the buddy classroom, the child should not be allowed to watch what the other class is doing. They should be instructed to go to that room, put their head down at a table and take their time out. Any reflection sheets should be done in the homeroom; the buddy teacher shouldn't have to do anything with the child that's coming in. We use study carrels (like these
https://www.schooloutfitters.com/cat...ucts_id/PRO734) and the child's back is to the class so they can be monitored but the sides of the desk reduce the temptation to look around. The buddy teacher should know about the "rules" of the buddy room too - keeps everyone (teachers & students) on the same page.

I would revisit the rules of time out/buddy room with your repeat offenders. Although time out is a chance for students to regroup & get ready to rejoin the group it shouldn't be viewed as a "fun place!" The goal for all students is to be active members of the class & if they're in time out, they're not working on that goal.

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net