ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - time out
Thread: time out
View Single Post

AddieJ

just to clarify my responses
Old 10-02-2010, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

When my children are in time out, they are sitting away from the group. They don't contribute to the lesson from time out - although they can see the lesson, their goal in time out is to regain control & be able to return to full participation. So, in a sense, they are missing out on some of the lesson because they need a break. When we are doing a whole group lesson, everyone wants to be a part of the discussion and when a time out is needed, they don't necessarily want to leave. We've talked about the reason for time out, why kids use it in our room, what to do while you are in time out and they seem to understand all of that but they still must leave the group in order to take the time out and that's what I was referring to in my post. (Just to note: time out is after the take a break where they just scoot back from the group. The next step is a bit further away from the group when take a break isn't enough.)

As for the buddy room, I've never thought of having a child turn their back to the group like wearing a dunce cap. For some kids, it is exciting to see what's going on in the other classroom and for them to really get back on track, the need a quiet corner. Our class has talked about the need for the buddy room and what to do while there but the kids still like the chance to possibly wave at a friend or watch what's going on in the other room's play areas. A study carrel provides a quiet place to regain their control & not be distracted by the environment around them. They don't need to be a part of the lesson in the buddy room in any way so they don't need to sit in a place to watch what's going on.

My feelings aren't hurt; I guess I was misunderstood and that happens. I wanted to clarify my answers. My RC trainer had said she used privacy shields with reminders on how to regain self-control posted inside at the desk where kids came from the buddy room and sat. While the children's backs were to the group, they actually did the "activities" (count to 10, do stretches, deep breaths, etc.) and returned to their class ready to participate. I took the idea from her and it's worked fine in my room.

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net