ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - time out
Thread: time out
View Single Post

Lottalove

I use Time out for the SpEd kids too
Old 10-03-2010, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

but have modified it to their needs (as I should)...

Only two children ever "need" it...

Child A has non-medicated ADHD and bi-polar. He is 10 but very, very small. He gets out of control very quickly. I give him a two-minute Time out as close to me as possible. He simply sits next to me at the table with his head down and is not allowed to speak. It gives him two minutes to slow down and breathe and ME two minutes to actually think and get a couple sentences out. [Sometimes he needs an additional two minutes.]

The other student, Child B, is a huge fifth grader with ODD and ADHD (also not medicated). We instituted a "Take 5" for him where either HE or I can assign a time out for 5 minutes. When his anger builds or begins to spiral, he takes his privacy notebook and removes himself from the group. He puts his head down or writes out his frustration anger in his notebook. Afterwards, he will choose to discuss it with me or shreds it--again his choice.

All of the other students have consequences that do not include time out for the most part. However, there are times when if they are fighting about a book, pencil, pen, toy or other classroom object, the object gets a time out and gets placed on top of my big cabinet for an indeterminate length of time.

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net