ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - time out
Thread: time out
View Single Post

AddieJ

Old 10-03-2010, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I was told in my RC trainings (I've been through RC1 & RC2) that take a break and time out are two different spots. In my classroom, as soon as I see someone need a break, I either whisper their name or make eye contact and do the ASL sign for "rest" (arms crossed over chest - reminds me of a butterfly.) They scoot back from the group (when on the floor) or put their head down on table and take a quick break. If they need another intervention then it's to sit in the "blue chair" (or time out spot.) It's still for a short time and they can still see the class. The next step would be the buddy room. My buddy seat is closer to the door so the child doesn't need to cross the room to get to their time out spot. I didn't want to get stuck where I had my student in time out and a child coming in from my buddy teacher's room and not have consistent spots to sit for both kids.

Did I misunderstand something from the workshops? Should I only have one seat? Is "take a break" and "time out" the same thing? I thought the take a break was the first opportunity the child gets to regain control and continue with the lesson with very little interruption - not much redirecting language at this point. Time out was used as step two - both are still used & explained as being for the same purpose - just time out comes after the take a break. I do use more redirecting language with time out because I can get over to their spot and have a more private quick pep talk. Time out is not worse than tab...as buddy room is not worse than time out. All are used for the same purpose. I can see how it can be seen as that way but it depends on how it's all explained & practiced. Maybe I need to go back and read my workbooks...
I hope that's not all confusing.

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net