ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - "Take a Break"
Thread: "Take a Break"
View Single Post

Mrs. R :)

Tricky!
Old 10-08-2012, 05:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi Mobleya,

I wondered if you've had a problem solving conference with this student. Something along the lines of... "I notice when you are given a choice to take a break, you often don't. Why is that a problem? What happens when you don't take a break?" Then, reinforcing with your student the goals of take a break may help.

Perhaps getting at the reason for his resistance instead of guessing may give you a better handle on it.

Having said that, I had a child one year who would not sit in the take a break chair. She lieterally would hover over it and sob when I sent her there. Obviously, this was not going to help her regain self-control and continue to let my teaching happen! So, I had a problem-solving conference with her. The catch was, she wasn't able, or was unwilling to share why it was so traumatic for her to sit in the chair. When it was clear that the chair was not going to work for her (regardless of the reason) I asked her what we could do instead. She came up with a signal I could give her. Then she would just stop what she was doing where she was, close her eyes and take some deep breaths. I made sure to hold her accountable by using reinforcing language and some debriefing conferences. I never had her sit in that chair again, but I was able to get her to take a break and regain self-control.

Hope this helps!

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net