ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Switching from Gen. Ed. to SPED?
View Single Post

TeachingWithE

Switching from Gen. Ed. to SPED?
Old 11-25-2017, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,

I will try to make this as short as possible! I hope that teachers from all avenues will be able to help me. Any advice would be helpful, and greatly appreciated.

I am in my 2nd year of teaching Gen. Ed. I am currently teaching 5th grade. I previously taught 2nd grade. I also student taught 1st grade, completed practicums in K and 8th, and I worked as a Paraprofessional for grades 5th-8th. To sum all of that up, I have an ample amount of experience in terms of grade levels and classroom settings. It is important to note that I am not certified in NJ (there was an issue with my GPA), and so I am seeking a Masters Degree program that will lead to certification in ESL or SPED. Choosing the program is where I am having difficulty.

I am seriously considering pursuing a Masters Degree in either ESL or SPED. My heart is truly in SPED, and I knew that I wanted to become a SPED teacher when I was in high school. HOWEVER, the endless paperwork, lack of support, and lack of control over placements (I would not want BD or MD), makes me lean more towards ESL. I am the daughter of an immigrant, and I speak Spanish, so language acquisition is very important to me. I think I would like ESL because of the small class/group sizes, less grading, and opportunity to really build meaningful relationships with each of my students. I LOVE gen. ed teaching, and I will miss setting my own class expectations, having class discussions, field trips, and all of the other things that come along with a large group and your own room... but I fear that my anxiety will worsen. There are times I am incredibly overwhelmed, and being that this is only my 2nd year, I am trying to prevent burn-out. I imagine having 20 kids in the class, and 2 or 3 of my own at home someday. Too much.

So, teachers out there... what would you suggest? Pursuing a Masters Degree with certification in ESL, or SPED?

Thank you all in advance!!!

TeachingWithE is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net