ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Parent complaint...let the games begin
View Single Post
larnow

larnow

Million Times
Old 08-23-2017, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have experienced this scenario a million times. It's good that the principal is on your side. If one doesn't have that, then he or she needs to seek advice from colleagues and or from a union. When I had a very big problem last year, I did go to the my union, but they didn't help me much either. I didn't have any support from my principal.

It sounds like your principal cares about you to a degree, so you have some support there. Try to communicate with the parent and work with them. Tel the principal you are doing these things and document them.

In a situation like yours, I would try to get the parent on my side. Modify the child's homework, or let him hand in the homework a little late while reminding him the importance of doing things on time. Whenever I was in this kind of situation, I changed my normal attitude with a parent like this and gave them "special treatment" to get them off my back. I'd accommodate the situation. Some people on here will disagree with this, but it worked for me.

It was never worth it for me to fight a parent like this in general. In my mind I never considered that I was backing down. Though I would compromise my program a little bit to keep my sanity. I would choose my battles with a parent who was determined to give me trouble. I'd argue only over something or disagree (professionally) when I felt it was really important. My philosophy is that a parent like this is not teaching his child anything about manners and social skills, and they are creating a monster since the child is most often getting his way. The parents will have to live with their creation forever, 24-7. For me, it was only a year.

Anyway, I am not that kid's parent, so I would ignore his attention seeking and small infractions. If he or she broke a major rule, like fighting out in the yard, I would counsel the student and have a meeting with the child and parent. Sometimes I'd send that student to the principal, but I would communicate with the parent on a regular basis.

I would give him rewards and compliment him for small accomplishments. I would mention social skills and manners along the way. But I didn't do all of this for the student's benefit. I did it for myself because I knew that I was never going to change the parent's and the student's mind. Handling the situation in a special way usually worked for me since the parent couldn't fight with someone who was not going to give him a fight. They wanted a fight.

Also, I would talk to the kid's teacher from last year or read the student's school history and get the lowdown on him or her. My inferences about a spoiled student's past were usually correct.
Of course the student only reads at a first grade level probably because the parent doesn't feel it's important or doesn't have time. I would work in a small reading group with that child.

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net