ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - First week of school
View Single Post

Mariely

First Day of School
Old 08-05-2012, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Hi Diamond,

Let me start by saying congrats on your first year of teaching 4th. You are going to love it. Feel free to get in contact with me if you ever need someone to talk to or ask questions.

On to your questions, which are very good ones by the way. Here's what I do as soon as my students walk into the room:

On their desks I already have a goody bag filled with various items to welcome them to a new school year of learning in my classroom. I do include a pencil that's already sharpened just in case they need it. I tell them they can sit anywhere they'd like (this is my little personal experiment to see who they can or cannot sit with). On top of their desks, I include several worksheets for them to work on as I greet parents at the door and welcome other students. I'm attaching a photo of what my students' desks looked like on the first day of school last year to give you an idea.

As for the supplies, our school has a Parent Drop-In Day the Friday before school starts. On this day the parents get to meet the teachers and drop off their kids' supplies. Not every parent participates, so I still have students who bring their supplies in the first day of school. The way I handle this is I have several baskets or bins labeled and ready for students to drop off their supplies. I have students do this after I'm done greeting parents and students. At the end of the day, I just take the sorted baskets and put away the supplies where they belong.

I hope this has answered your questions. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Wishing you the best!
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Mariely is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net