ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - 5th and 6th Math Class
View Single Post

g8rFan

Math class
Old 07-29-2010, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach 5th grade math and LOVE it! I have 3 rotating blocks. I begin each block with a "problem of the day" on the board. This is a word problem that the kids have about 3-5 minutes to solve. They put their answer with their name on a little slip of paper and drop it in the bucket. When everyone is finished, someone comes up to the board to work out the problem. Once we have a correct answer, I pull slips from the bucket...the first 3 correct answers pulled get a ticket. They LOVE this and it's a fun way to start class. Only takes about 10 minutes total if that.

Then I check the previous day's homework. They check their own with a red pen (I go around to check for completion and have a checklist for missing HW). If there are any questions about the homework, we go over them. This takes about 5-10 minutes also.

At this point I start the new lesson. I have a smartboard, but honestly, I use my overhead most of the time. After the lesson, the homework is assigned and they have a few minutes to get started. By then the class is over (60 minutes).

There are games sometimes as part of the lesson or review for a test. I taught self-contained (all subjects) 5th grade for many years, and just last year was assigned math when we departmentalized. I would NEVER want to go back. I can really concentrate on my subject and have time to find new games and activities. Good luck. You can PM if you want.
g8rFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net