ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Acceleration/Grade Skipping
View Single Post

puzzle1mom

Acceleration/Grade Skipping
Old 05-01-2017, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My niece was tested before starting kindergarten and was placed in a public elementary school with a gifted program. For the past two years, my sister-in-law has told me that her teacher has called her to school for a meeting at the end of the year suggesting that she skip the following grade. (She is 7 and is just finishing 1st grade.). I have had training to teach students who are gifted & talented (I held an endorsement at one time) and I was under the impression that this was a LAST resort for many reasons. I am really surprised that her school has made this suggestion twice, especially given that my niece is still quite young. I don't understand - if she's in a gifted program, shouldn't they be doing other things to meet her needs besides the suggestion to skip a grade? My sister-in-law plans to tell them she doesn't want to do it because my niece is still so young and innocent; she doesn't want to push her to grow up fast. (I think she's right.)

Is this common practice? I have never heard of anyone in my county (she's in the next one over) skipping a grade. I skipped a grade back in the 70's, but I was in a Catholic school and there was no gifted program to speak of. Looking back now, I know my mother regrets allowing it.

puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net