ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - New to position and feeling overwhelmed
View Single Post

nstafins

New to position and feeling overwhelmed
Old 09-06-2017, 05:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I am coming from a classroom teacher position into a librarian position. Disclaimer-- I wanted to stay in the classroom but after getting laid-off, I had an impossible time finding a job. This position was offered to me and I was excited until realizing it was more of an "aide" position then anything. I am not making a teacher's salary and half of my day is spent outside the library. I have three recess duties and I come in later than the rest of the staff so I can stay late and run the after-school program. Needless to say, I'm still looking but I want to do a good job while I am in this position.

I am in an urban school notorious for discipline problems and have heard from teachers that the librarian job is a nightmare. My school is only 4th and 5th graders. I see each class once a week for 35 minutes. The P expects me to teach lessons in addition to check-out/check-in things. He mentioned keyboarding and technology skills. Anyways, I have no idea how to arrange my class time.

My ideas are to make one week for check-outs and the next for a lesson, and rotate that way. I think it could work but my main concern is check out week. I see that as being a behavior problem considering there will be students wandering around, chatting, etc. Someone mentioned implementing centers? I have such a short time but I suppose it could work. So while one group is checking out, other groups are in centers either at the computer, working on a task, playing a literacy card game, etc.

I'm just really lost on how to go about this and I have students starting on Monday and want to be prepared.

nstafins is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net