ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Embracing new friends
View Single Post

NJ Teacher

Sounds good to me...
Old 01-07-2021, 04:05 PM

When I first started teaching, most of my friendships were based on workplace relationships. Several of us started at the same time, and we naturally grew together as friends. We used to have dinner at each other's homes once a month. It was great, especially since I wasn't from the area. Parents also were very kind to me as a young teacher. Several remain long distance friends to this very day.

When I re-located, my first school in my district gave me more close friendships. After the district restructured and my friends were transferred to a different building and I wasn't, some of the friendships survived and some sadly, did not. I did not form the close friendships in my new school that I had before the restructuring. I made a third move in the district, but was older. As my previous friends retired or had formed new friendships, I always felt like an outsider. I was also single in a world of married people, and many of these people had more money and differing lifestyles than me. I did feel left out many times, often at the hand of the one person I did consider a friend, which was hurtful.

Fortunately, I have a neighbor I consider my best friend, and her sister and brother-in-law have included me as family. I would like more friends, and did make plans to join a local social/service club, but Covid put the cobash on that for now. I also joined a hiking group, and while I made no lasting friends there so far, the people who go are nice and it is fun to be out with a group. I also have that on hold, and I also miss people I have become friends with at the gym.

I like your thinking. I hope you have many good times with your new friends.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net