ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - a teacher who made a difference... how about you
View Single Post

cvt

teacher
Old 01-13-2021, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I became a history major in college because of my favorite history teacher in 10th and 11th grade.

Decades before Robin Williams and others showed teachers standing on desks and acting out historical scenes, my teacher was bringing history to life through his own re-enactments. Standing on a chair or moving through the classroom he would do orations by the classical Greeks and Romans, describe real life in the Middle Ages as well as the Black Death (Plague), explore the Magna Carta and its effects on the world, read passages from Plato's The Republic, explain WWII and its ramifications, and so on. Critical thinking was always part of his teaching, and we had many discussions in class.

This teacher was a nondescript mild-mannered bachelor, and you would never have suspected that he was so dynamic that students couldn't wait to get into his class. He was also tough and did not tolerate slackers, but was always encouraging us to dare to go beyond popular thinking.

I had the privilege of taking two years of history with him, and he is for ever my favorite teacher.

cvt is online now   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net