ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - PT Docs: Jaw/tongue pain
View Single Post

lacey2

Jaw pain
Old 01-22-2021, 12:45 PM

I have been diagnosed with TMJ disorder, and have the same symptoms you describe. In fact, I was having those along with pain along my gum line that was so severe, I just saw my dentist about it. She found no tooth/gum issues and suspected it was just the TMJ and neck muscles spasming. I've been stressed out lately and am possibly clenching at night. A year ago I had some PT and learned some exercises to do that help with the tension in my jaw.

That said, jaw pain can also, as another poster pointed out, be one symptom of a heart issue. You might make a doctor's appointment to have things checked out. Just knowing it's not a heart problem would bring peace of mind. It is very likely something to do with your TMJ and other muscles in the neck, jaw, and face, but it is worth checking out further if it continues. In the meantime, you could try warm or cold compresses on the area to see if it helped.

Do you think you have any sinus pressure? Even that can put pressure on your jaw.

If it is TMJ disorder, things like exercises, hot/cold compresses, a mouth guard at night, pain relievers like tylenol or ibuprofen, and massage can all help. I hope you feel better soon!

Last edited by lacey2; 01-22-2021 at 01:21 PM..
lacey2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net