ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - First year teacher drowning
View Single Post

kahluablast

Old 09-14-2018, 04:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Not a new teacher. This is the end of my 5th week of this new year and it is the first week that I feel like we have started to get a rhythm and I am teaching more than managing or reacting. The first weeks there are so many things to teach and reteach just about our procedures that it takes a while.

I would consider trying something like daily 5 for structure during your language arts. Teach the kids stamina for reading to self by practicing whole group. Then pull half the class and do something with them while the rest read to self. Keep it short until they learn how to stay reading the whole time. Then add writing - teach it whole group (or maybe with that half the class while practicing) untill everyone can write by themself. If you are in a younger grade, maybe listen to reading would be a good 2nd skill to teach. Then you have 3 different rotations while you can work with a group.

Start with things that don't require "tools", cut outs, materials or anything else. Managing all the center stuff, I think is a whole 'nuther thing.

Like others said, it isn't all going to get done. I don't think you need to keep up with the Jones' who have been teaching for longer. Make your own goals and priorities. Let some things go. Don't grade everything. Put checks/stickers on things that you go over together or they have done with partners and send it home (or throw it away.) . Take time at night for yourself. Even now I have trouble in the evening not constantly thinking of school. Encourage yourself to have a life in addition to teaching. It is healthy.

For prepping things - do you have parents who might do some things for you at home? Reach out and ask.. I always have a couple of parents who will cut or collate/staple things if I send them home with their kid. Maybe they could help put center tools together for you.
Keep trucking. You can do it!
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net