ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - First year teacher drowning
View Single Post

treemonky

It gets better.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Here are some reassurances from a 19 year veteran. The first year always sucks for everyone. Everyone feels like they are in over their head. This is, unfortunately, normal. There's nothing wrong with working to contract hours and, in fact, I think that it's ideal you are getting in that habit now. If I could change anything about my first year, I would not spend hours and hours and hours of my off time doing school stuff. You don't have to do everything your teammates do. Take what advice and suggestions you can manage from them right now and leave the rest behind. You will get there. I promise. But it might not be this year and that's okay. Remember this time because, at some point, you will be supporting someone else who is feeling just like this. Find someone you can lean on and vent to. It probably won't be your teammates or your official mentor. Someone in your school has the heart for helping you. Watch carefully for those who are checking in with you, have a kind word to say to you and you feel a connection with. That is your person. If there just isn't anyone at school that fits that description, you can find someone outside of school. You can find your "people" here, too, if they aren't turning up in your life. Give yourself grace. No one is good at anything when they are first trying. And student teacher is quite a bit different that being the classroom teacher. You can do this! Remember the reasons why you became a teacher and cling to them. You got this! Your homework for this weekend is to do anything besides work on school work. It's going to be okay. I promise.
treemonky is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net