ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - First year teacher drowning
View Single Post

Blue Flower

Modeling
Old 09-17-2018, 08:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Modeling everything is so important. How to line up, walk around desks, and how you expect your assignments to be completed are only a few examples of what needs to be modeled and practiced all the time. I teach 2nd grade and will do a lot of whole class activities and then gradually have students work independently. You also need modeling. You need a chance to see how the other teachers are implementing centers or other areas of your interest. I also taught 1st grade my very first year of teaching, and it was overwhelming at times. After realizing the importance of how the students had only experienced school as preschoolers or Kindergarteners I became more aware and felt more natural in anticipating their needs. Of course that is obvious, but it is another thing to empathize with their transition as you see it happen as a brand new teacher. As others said, there is no one helping you run the show and setting up classroom routines like when you were a ST. I also wasn’t thrilled about starting centers, and recommend that you research the topic and have a chance to see it in action in other classrooms. Most importantly, be proud of all the effort you put into your teaching practice!
Blue Flower is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net